Monday, January 31, 2011

Memories

“You never know when you’re making a memory.” ― Rickie Lee Jones

I had the opportunity to interact with a large group of prospective students and families visiting campus this weekend. Some of the students had already applied AND been accepted, some had only applied and some are just beginning their college search.  I still remember my first few visits to campus and am envious of their fresh perspective.  For some of those students, it was their first (or second or third) visit to what will become home.

One of my favorite parts of my job is seeing students (especially those in high school), starting that journey towards adulthood.  Some have known exactly what they want to do and be since they were kids, others still have no idea.  They all have so many options and every choice leads them down a different path.  Ultimately, I can not imagine myself choosing a different school, because there are too many people and experiences I would have missed had I ended up someplace else.  At least that's what I tell myself when I wonder where I'd be if I had made a different choice!  The big experiences might have been the same, but it's the little ones I would miss.  The memories you don't realize you're making :)

I also found out this weekend that one of my closest friends was offered a job in London.  She (and her husband) will move this summer and be there for the next two years.  While I am SO excited for her, I am already dreading saying goodbye.  We've known each other for about four years, but it's just been this past year that we've hung out on a regular basis.  We bonded over our shared love of dance and wine, so I foresee a lot of both in the next 6 months.  Luckily she's going someplace fun so I know I will visit.  In the meantime, I'll enjoy making memories!

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment