Saturday, January 14, 2012

She's beauty and she's grace...

...Miss Congeniality anyone?

I have mixed feelings on pageants and other beauty-centric competitions. I think the world portrayed on shows like 'Toddlers and Tiaras' is often sad and extreme, but is in fact reality for some people. I also recognize that the more mainstream systems provide a great deal of money to be put towards educational costs. Many of the women do care passionately about their platform, as well, and pursue those causes long after they stop wearing crowns. I know that the talent and interview portions are not supposed to be based on physical appearance, but when the other half of the score comes from swimsuits and evening gowns, it's hard not to make your picks based on looks.  On the other hand, if someone is beautiful on the outside, why shouldn't that be acknowledged?  It does not have to be at the exclusion of inner beauty. As long as we're up front about it, I'm not sure I see anything wrong with it.

I remember watching Miss America every year while I was growing up, enthralled by how pretty and poised everyone was on stage. My gymnastics coach was our state title holder and she was as sweet and nice of a person as you could want in a role model. I attended a few local pageants when older girls from school were competing, but was never really interested in trying myself. I think my mom was grateful for that, as despite the years of dance recitals I participated in, she is NOT a stage mom!

I am admittedly a pageant snob when it comes to Miss America vs Miss USA. I can't really justify it, but I feel like Miss A is more about the whole person, while Miss USA is just about the flash. Some of that also comes from a former roommate who is a huge fan of the Miss America organization.  In fact, while we were roommates, the then-current Miss A visited our campus and I was able to arrange a surprise birthday dinner with her, prior to her event. In case you were wondering, the crown is kept in a box when it's not on her head and she has a crown pin that she wears for certain events. That particular Miss A also frequented Outback Steakhouse, knowing there would be some consistency in the menu, ordered the same thing almost every time.

As soon as one my students mentioned she would be celebrating her 21st birthday by drinking cocktails and watching Miss America with her roommates, I knew I wanted to do something similar!  I will be watching tonight with one of my best girlfriends, munching on probably unhealthy snacks (although I do have a bag of carrots in my fridge!), sipping apple cider (she's expecting, so no bubbly for us!) and doing our best to predict how the actual judges will rate each contestant. I usually find myself rooting for specific states that I've either lived in or where loved ones reside. Then if/when they are all eliminated, I pick a finalist at random.

Who do you think will be crowned tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment